Last Updated on March 15, 2023
Choosing the best dog shampoo for your pet is an important decision you have to make. But with so many options, it can be difficult to decide which one will work best for your dog.
Before you can make a decision, you must first determine what your dog needs. Does your dog have fleas? Does he smell bad all the time? Does he suffer from dry skin or a matted coat? Answering these questions will help you find the best dog shampoo for your loyal companion.
Remember that each dog’s coat and skin may react differently to various dog shampoo ingredients. So, you have to be mindful of your dog’s sensitivities to certain grooming products.
Before we narrow down the list of the best dog shampoos, let’s get to know the different types of dog shampoos available on the market and the factors to consider when choosing a dog shampoo. Let’s get started.
What are the Different Types of Shampoos for Dogs?
Dog owners are bombarded by a wide variety of dog shampoos, each claiming to be the best in their respective categories. Shopping for the right dog shampoo for your furry pal is not as cut and dried as many people think. There’s no one-size-fits-all solution to your dog shampoo woes. What works for other dogs may not work for your dog. The key is to know your dog’s hygiene requirements so that you can choose from these different types of dog shampoos:
General Purpose Dog Shampoo
This type of dog shampoo is a great all-around shampoo that can be used on any type of fur. It’s essentially a shampoo to cleanse, deodorize, detangle, brighten the dog’s coat, and keep the dog smelling fresh.
Tick and Flea Shampoo
This is a medicated shampoo that gets rid of fleas and tick infestation in dogs. A flea shampoo contains active ingredients that not only kill parasites but also prevent re-infestation. Some tick shampoo brands contain moisturizers and conditioners to treat dry skin, dander, and other dog skin issues caused by parasites.
Medicated Dog Shampoo
Also known as antimicrobial or antifungal shampoos, medicated dog shampoos are specifically formulated to treat mange, hot spots, and other dog skin problems. They also help reduce odor-causing bacteria that live on your dog’s skin.
Anti-Itching Dog Shampoo
Dogs that keep scratching and biting their skin can benefit from anti-itching dog shampoo. It’s formulated to help get rid of itchy skin in dogs caused by fleas, bacteria, or parasites.
Brightening Dog Shampoo
This type of shampoo contains whitening ingredients that enhance the brightness of your dog’s hair. It helps to restore dull coat and maintain your dog’s lustrous and shiny coat. Brightening shampoo is typically used on dogs with long coats.
Mild to the skin and eyes, puppy shampoos are specially formulated for puppies and older dogs with sensitive skin. These tear-free dog shampoos don’t contain harsh chemicals that can cause irritation. They are usually marketed as shampoos safe for puppies because they’re gentle on the skin and don’t irritate the eyes.
Things to Consider When Buying Dog Shampoo
In general, the best dog shampoo should be safe, gentle, and effective. But before you can find the right dog shampoo, you must take into consideration several factors that can affect the effectiveness of the dog shampoo.
- Breed of Dog and Type of Coat
Different dog breeds have different coat and skin types, so their grooming requirements vary as well. Shampoos that work for short-coated dog breeds may not work as effectively for dog breeds with long coats.
- Dog Skin Conditions
Some dogs may need medicated shampoos for their skin conditions while other dogs just need regular shampoos for preventive care. Those suffering from a severe case of mange would need prescription medicated shampoo to treat their skin condition.
- Skin Sensitivity and Skin Chemistry
A dog’s skin has different pH levels. Canine skin is more alkaline compared to human skin, which means that they are more sensitive. This is why human shampoos are not suitable for dogs due to their acidic nature. Knowing the pH level of your dog’s skin can help determine the most suitable dog shampoo formulation for your dog.
- Dog Shampoo Ingredients
Make it a habit to read dog shampoo labels before you buy. You must steer clear of dog shampoo formulas that include parabens, sulfates, phthalates, mineral oils, and other harmful chemicals that can cause skin irritation.
5 Best Rated Dog Shampoo
So, how do you find the best dog shampoo for your pup? We tested some brands of dog shampoo, so you don’t have to. Find out our top pick!
|Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog Shampoo||4.7|
|Wahl Dry Skin And Itch Relief Shampoo||4.7|
|PetAg Fresh n’ Clean Dog Shampoo||4.8|
RELIQ Mineral SPA Shampoo Green Tea for Dog
|Bark 2 Basics Oatmeal Dog Shampoo||4.7|
Let’s see the details:
Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog Shampoo
Earthbath is a hypoallergenic, tearless dog shampoo enriched with aloe and oatmeal for deep cleansing and moisturizing. It’s specially formulated for dogs with dry and itchy skin. It helps to revitalize the skin after dealing with mange or skin disease. It can be used for dogs over 6 weeks old.
- All-natural and organic ingredients
- No harsh chemicals like parabens, sulfates, phthalates, and synthetic dyes
- No artificial fragrance added
- pH-balanced which makes it gentle on the dog’s skin and coat
- Thin and too watery for a dog shampoo. It does not lather up well.
- The mild vanilla and almond scent does not last long.
2. Wahl Dry Skin & Itch Relief Pet Shampoo for Dogs – Oatmeal Formula with Coconut Lime Verbena
Wahl’s dog shampoo formulation cleanses the skin of dander, sebum, bacteria, dirt and other impurities. It’s made to restore the skin’s natural moisture balance. This dog shampoo provides relief from itching and inflammation associated with canine atopic dermatitis or eczema. The oatmeal formula is great for dogs with sensitive skin prone to itchiness and leaves the coat clean and moisturized.
- Thick lather derived from a coconut-based sodding agent
- No parabens, PEG-80, and alcohol
- Tear-free; gentle on the eyes.
- Not very effective with dog dandruff
- May trigger allergic reactions in some dogs.
3. PetAg Fresh ‘n Clean Scented Dog Shampoo – Classic Fresh Scent
PetAg uses aloe to hydrate and moisturize the skin. It leaves the dogs’ coat shiny and soft with added natural conditioners and vitamin E. It effectively gets rid of the doggie odor.
- Uses a soap-free, plant-based, biodegradable formula that is gentle on the skin and good for the environment
- It has a nice lather, which makes it easier to work through the coat without using too much dog shampoo.
- Long-lasting scent that makes your dog smelling fresh and clean for a longer period of time.
- The extra conditioner in the formulation helps keep a tangle-free and mat-free coat.
- The smell may be a little strong for dogs (and dog owners) sensitive to strong flower scents.
4. RELIQ Mineral SPA Shampoo Green Tea for Dog
RELIQ Mineral SPA shampoo is a tearless formula that nourishes your dog’s skin and coat. Infused with natural green tea, this product can provide your pet with a healthy, clean smell. It also contains no parabens, sulfates, and harmful additives, which makes it gentle enough for use on dogs as well as cats without any irritation.
- Packed with nutrients that nourish and condition the skin and fur. It contains green tea extract, vitamin E and Pro-vitamin B.
- The olive oil in RELIQ shampoo moisturizes, hydrates, and softens the skin without leaving stickly and oily residue.
- Natural, tear-free formula that’s not only gentle on the skin but on the eyes as well.
- It effectively removes wet dog smell, thanks to weathered volcanic ash. No more smelly coat smell.
- Easy-rinse formula shortens bath time, which helps conserve water as well.
- It can be used in cats too.
- More expensive than other dog shampoo brands
5. Bark 2 Basics Oatmeal Dog Shampoo
Keep your furry friend smelling fresh and clean with this natural oatmeal-based shampoo. It contains no harsh chemicals, so it’s safe for use on any coat, even on sensitive skin. Leaves your dog’s fur smelling fresh with its coconut fragrance.
- Uses naturally derived, plant-based ingredients which are gentle on the skin and fur.
- It works well for soothing dry, itchy, and irritated skin.
- More concentrated than other dog shampoo brands. It dilutes 16 parts water to 1 part shampoo. A gallon of Bark 2 Basic dog shampoo will last a long time.
- The dog shampoo will not wash off dog tick or flea topical product or ointment.
- Not a tear-less dog shampoo. If it comes into contact with dog’s eye, it may cause irritation.
Our Top Pick for the Best Dog Shampoo in 2023
Winner: RELIQ Mineral SPA Shampoo Green Tea
RELIQ Mineral SPA dog shampoo ticks all the right boxes and is worthy of being crowned our top pick for the best dog shampoo.
It’s important to find a shampoo that will not strip the natural oils from the hair or irritate your pup’s skin and eyes. Choosing the right type can also reduce shedding and make grooming easier.