Dogs are definitely some of the most active creatures you will ever come across. They get particularly excited when going on walks or even when you’re just opening the door. As much as you want to keep your eyes on them every single minute, chances are they’re going to be scooting outdoors or running wildly in the park. Thankfully, a dog tracker can help you keep tabs on your pet at all times.
A tracker attached to your pet’s collar can give you the peace of mind your need while ensuring your dog is safe and secure no matter where they might be. As such, you might want to look into dog trackers that track the location of your fur baby accurately and on time.
If you have ever worried about your dog getting lost, there are great dog tracker options for you to choose from. We have listed some picks for you to check out.
What are Dog Trackers?
A dog tracker is simply a real-time tracking device that utilizes GPS to allow you to keep track of your dog right away. This particular type of tracker contains GPS technology and other hardware that works with GPS satellites around the globe to locate the area or location of your dog.
The approximate calculated location and its respective coordinates are sent from the dog tracker to your device with the aid of network carriers. Apart from letting you see your dog’s location, this also allows you to monitor their activity.
These devices usually come in collar form to make attachments on your dog seamless and more ideal. However, some devices can be clipped onto your dog’s collar.
Why You Need Dog Trackers
Even the best-trained dogs can run off when they are scared or excited. Because of this, one of the reasons why you should have a dog tracker is that you can locate your dog no matter where there are. Thanks to the availability of GPS worldwide, you can locate your dog in real-time whether they are near or far, or worse, when they go missing.
Another important point is that you’ll get more in-depth information about your dog and what they do. With the help of location technology, you can get a sense of how your pet travels and which houses or stops they visit along the way. This is also good for when you go on hunting trips or exploring the great outdoors.
Some dog trackers are equipped with more than just tracking abilities. In fact, there are now devices that are also capable of measuring the activity and fitness levels of your pet, keeping you in the loop on whether or not they are achieving their much-needed exercise throughout the day. These can show you their activity levels and the distances your dog has traveled.
Dog trackers also give you the peace of mind you deserve given that you know where they are and if they are safe and protected even while outside their limits.
Pros and Cons of Having a Dog Tracker
The advances in technology available to us today make it easier and efficient to find our dogs, especially when they go missing. However, there are also drawbacks to these types of technological advances. Learn more about the pros and cons are of having a dog tracker.
Advantages of a Dog Tracker
- GPS dog trackers can locate your dog from just about anywhere
- Help you track your dog’s location in real-time
- Dog tracker can be worn as a collar or as a clip instead of having to be inserted into their body
- Gain more understanding of what your pet does, the places they visit, and their day-to-day activities
Disadvantages of a Dog Tracker
- Batteries can expire and owners must keep on top of recharging or replacing these every so often
- Clip-on collars or trackers can be lost over time
- There must be strong cell phone coverage for the GPS tracker to be able to send notifications
Find Out the Best Dog Trackers
Not all dog trackers are built the same. With numerous options on the market, it can be challenging to find the right fit for you and your dog. We have rounded up some of the best dog trackers today and what they have to offer. Take a look.
Garmin Drivetrack 71 – In-Vehicle Dog Tracking and GPS
For explorers and adventurers, you’re in for a sweet treat with the Garmin Drivetrack 71-in-Vehicle Dog Tracking and GPS device as this can monitor the location where your dog is from the vehicle you’re traveling in. This particular system consists of a navigator you can mount inside your car and track your dog while inside your vehicle.
This device gives you the best of both worlds by marrying dog-tracking and off-road navigation into one. Even better, you can easily track and see where your doggie is with the 6.95-inch touch screen. Your dog will be in good hands knowing you can watch them from inside your car with the help of topo maps and or satellite imagery.
Its enhanced connectivity makes it possible for you to receive driver alerts, enable voice-activated navigation, hands-free calling, and more with the help of the Bluetooth-compatible Garmin GPS/
- Mid-sized screen great for viewing updates and road maps
- WiFi and Bluetooth compatibility for seamless connections
- Gets live information on locations
- Friction mount comes separately
- You’ll need to have a separate collar to place on your dog
Garmin Alpha 200i Dog Tracking Handheld
This device is your best bet if you are looking for a portable option for monitoring your pooch. You will definitely appreciate its compact form, especially during trips or hunts. It covers a 9-mile area, so you can let your dogs roam freely without concerns.
This tech uses GPS and Galileo, so you can easily find your pooch, wherever they may go. You can also take advantage of what TopoActive, direct-to-device, and BirdEye Satellite Imagery for navigation. It also comes with an SOS alert and a two-way messaging system for better monitoring.
- Perfect for travelling
- Optimal battery life
- Records dog’s hunting pattern
- Can monitor up to 20 dogs
- Small screen
Dogtra Pathfinder TRX with Collar
Dogtra Pathfinder TRX is designed to help you keep track of your dogs within a nine-mile range. With this tracker, you monitor your dogs’ locations no matter the weather or the environment. You can do so by connecting the device to the collar and your smartphone. From there, you can access different types of map views such as normal, terrain, and satellite.
The best thing about this device is it comes with a GPS-only collar, which means that it can continue to monitor your pooches even without an Internet connection. The collar fits dogs weighing 35 pounds or more.
This option is best for people who go out with more than one dog. It can keep track of a maximum of 21 dogs, so you can hunt without worries. Plus, you do not have to pay any subscription fees to use it.
- Can be used offline
- No additional fees
- Location updates in two seconds
- Only one collar included
Link GPS Dog Tracker + Activity Monitor Device
It is important to know how your dog is doing while training them, and a tracker with a monitor can help you understand your pooch better. The Link GPS Dog Tracker + Activity Monitor lets you know your canine’s location, environmental temperature, active minutes, steps are taken, and distance travelled. It can also store their health records and identification details.
This device is created to help reinforce good behavior in pets, so it comes built-in with tools that can help you do so in a positive manner. You can use sounds and vibrations to help support excellent actions, performance, and overall conduct.
Aside from training tools, it also has a flashlight, which you can control using your phone, as well as a map not only for real-time tracking but also for monitoring past activities.
- Comprehensive tools for training
- Different sensors for monitoring
- Remote-controlled with an app
- Subscription plan required for GPS support
Tractive XL GPS Tracker for Large Dogs – Waterproof, GPS Location & Smart Pet Activity Tracker, Unlimited Range, Works with Any Collar
Individuals who like to drive around with their dogs can use this gadget to keep track of their pets during the trip. This device lets you have a tracker right at your fingertips for easier monitoring and navigation. Some of the amazing features include;
- LIVE TRACKING & LOCATION HISTORY – Follow your furry friend’s every step in real-time on your phone. See where your dog has been and what they’ve been up to with this dog GPS tracker.
- VIRTUAL FENCE – Mark safe zones, like your garden, and know the moment your dog leaves one – and when they come back safely.
- ALL-DAY ACTIVITY MONITORING – Track active time, rest and calories burned. Set fitness goals. Keep your buddy in great shape with a dog tracker collar attachment with GPS.DE LOCATION TRACKING – Use your GPS tracker for dogs throughout the USA, Canada and 150 other countries. Manage all features via the free Tractive GPS app for iOS and Android or in any browser.
- WORLDWIDE LOCATION TRACKING – Use your GPS tracker for dogs throughout the USA, Canada and 175+ other countries. Manage all features via the free Tractive GPS app for iOS and Android or in any browser.
- Comes with an App
- Easily attaches to your dogs collar
- Up to 21 days of battery life
- The virtual fence is a remarkable feature
- Subscription plan needed
OKPET Electronic Pet Wired Dog Fence System with Collar
This tracker is a great choice for homeowners who want to keep their active dogs safe inside their premises. With the OKPET dog fence system, you can let your dog out in the yard with minimal worries. You can set boundaries where you can comfortably let your dog roam.
To let you know if your dog is testing the limits, this device utilizes harmless signals to let you know when your pet gets closer and closer to the boundary. This lets your pooch know that they need to go back to a safe area. Don’t worry because the signal stops once they are within the right distance.
You can install and adjust this fence using the included cables, transmitter, and equipment. Plus, you can use the transmitter with more than one receiver, which means you can protect each of your dogs if you have more than one.
- Perfect for active and curious pets
- Can cover more than one pet
- Adjustable and customizable
- Emits alerts when cables are damaged
- Can be difficult to configure
Taking your dog to the great outdoors should not be a worrisome experience. With these trackers, you can monitor your pet’s location, so you can rest easy while they take in the sights and new experiences.